The Yoga Rocks the Park San Diego Community is a proud supporter of the Sean O'Shea Foundation and is excited to introduce the 2013 Sean O’Shea Foundation Fundraising Campaign.
- Hard-core gang members representing four violent gangs all practicing yoga and lying in savasana together… peacefully.
- A probation officer witnessing students on his caseload improve their grades with skills taught in the Sean O'Shea Foundation Yoga and nutrition program.
- School psychologists requesting the Sean O'Shea Foundation program to help their at-risk youth develop greater focus and confidence.
- Thousands of students learning to cope with their daily challenges and stressful life situations through yoga and meditation.
- Young cancer patients learning to decrease their pain and anxiety through breath and meditation as they battle their life threatening disease.
- Local homeless teens having a welcoming place to go to for a hot meal.
All of this has come true since 2008 for nearly 9,000 children, thanks to supporters of the Sean O'Shea Foundation.
The Sean O’Shea Foundation’s 2013 fundraising campaign is focused on Empowering Youth in our communities. We primarily focus on youth who live in economically disadvantaged areas, who often lack basic health care, have limited exposure to the benefits of nutrition, and are normally unfamiliar with the practice of yoga. Remarkably, during the past four years we have ensured that all of our students have been able to participate in our programs free of charge.
The foundation is named in honor of Sean O’Shea, a much loved yoga teacher and studio owner (Four Seasons Yoga in La Jolla) who lost his life in a fatal freeway accident in December of 2006. In his memory, his family and friends established the Sean O’Shea Foundation, which empowers youth through yoga, nutrition education, and optimistic teachings. Our mission is to help youth, ages 8-18, develop life skills that can enable them to take responsibility for their lives, develop respect for themselves and others, and have confidence in their own potential.
- Training for school faculty in chair yoga and meditation for the classroom
- Seven-week yoga and nutrition program for students ages 8-18
- Year-round yoga and nutrition program for interested schools with a high percentage of at-risk students
- Year-round yoga for juvenile court-mandated students
- Programs for pregnant teens and teen parents committed to continuing their education
- Yoga and meditation for kids with cancer and yoga for their families.
- Our newest program - providing nutritious meals for homeless teens
How You Can Support the Empowerment of Youth
A $25 donation will provide an at-risk child/teen with our seven-week mindfulness-based yoga and nutrition program. This includes yoga supplies, literature, a certified and experienced yoga teacher, one nutrition workshop and cooking lesson, six yoga lessons, a certificate of completion, plus a water bottle or other small gift!
A $100 donation will provide food for our homeless teen meal program or a nutrition assembly. Help us empower the youth of our local communities...donate today! We honor Sean's good life, and we are honored to continue his vision.